Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Motion365 - Day 164: All or Nothing

This is a duplicate blog entry from Motion365, my personal dance adventure from 2010-2011.  Notable entries have been copied to this blog so students and fellow dancers may enjoy the ponderings and combos created from the experience.

June 1, 2011
Song: All or Nothing (3:38) by Athena Cage from Save the Last Dance soundtrack

Last night I watched the season finale of The Dance Scene via the joy of DVR.  The show features dancer/choreography/producer/director Laurieann Gibson and her regular dancers/assistant choreographers.  Each week we see the artists grow as they are pushed to the max in their abilities both physically and emotionally.

This episode featured a piece choreographed to tell the story of a woman who explores her sexuality and finds she is unable to gain acceptance for her “unconventional” lifestyle.  Finding only judgment and pain without anyone to turn to, she chooses to take her life.

The piece was filled with raw passion and touched me in a way so deep I found myself swept away in the rollercoaster of emotions: from a hint of romance - to anger - on through pain - then being lost - into despair - and finally into the only peace she could find which was in death.

I am once again reminded of how impactful movement can be.  Not only does it offer healing to the individual engaging in the motion - Kherington Payne, who danced the piece, was processing her own grief at the suicide of a dear family member - but also to those who see it.

I want to learn how to share a story with my movement, how to feel the sentiments seeping through my pours, and how to emote it all to an audience.  Where do I learn and can it be taught?  How do I pursue this next level in my movement journey?

"You are what you believe, you got to bring the dreams...

Live your dreams, it's not as hard as it might seem.
You gotta work to get the green, on your hopes you must lean.
From your fears, you have to wean yourself.
It's all or nothing, give your everything.

So you gotta live your dreams,
So don't you be afraid.
Just set the pace, and take the lead.
It's your time to shine.
Please believe."

No comments:

Post a Comment