Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Motion365 - Day 002: TempoBeat

This is a duplicate blog entry from Motion365, my personal dance adventure from 2010-2011.  Notable entries have been copied to this blog so students and fellow dancers may enjoy the ponderings and combos created from the experience.

December 21, 2010
Song: TempoBeat (4:39) by Analogik from Tribal Beats, Vol. 2

The buzzing alarm goes off, and the self-induced pressure kicks in.  What am I thinking?  Not only have I created an extra step to my morning routine, I’ve also added a daily blog commitment.  Will others find value in my exploration or will it be seen as a waste of Internet space?  Heck, will others even read it?

Then there’s the challenge of music selection.  How do I know which song will move me and create a canvas for discovery?  And what if it doesn’t?

Questions whir through my mind and catapult my spirit into disarray.  All this within a matter of moments.  And then, blissfully, the music - that sweet serenade to my despairing soul - takes control.  Its rhythm sets my body in motion, and its melody soothes my inner inquisitor.

Over the shower of cleansing H2O, I hear the beats of dear friends, the tunes of kindred companions.  I search my being - waiting for the yearning to groove.  Ah, but wait, here it is.  This…  This is the music speaking to me today.  I didn’t have to worry about picking the perfect song because the song picked me.

My body craves the release and propels me through the “getting ready” phase of my day.  Clothes shimmy into their resting places.  Nuances fill the spaces between makeup applications.  Wiggles set my tail a’swayin.  Then, at last, it is time.  Time for Motion365.

My thoughts turn to angles; my body responds with twists.
1-2&:  (flat feet)  R hip twist front.  R hip drop-center.
3-4&:  L hip twist front.  L hip drop-center.

In another sequence, twists and drops demand their courtship be known.
1-2:  While turning torso to the R, slide ribs R-L.
3-4:  Continue turning torso R, slide ribs R-L.
5-6:  Stretch to continue turning torso R, slide ribs R-L.
7-8:  Release ribs to center with pelvic drop-drop.

As the music reaches its closing chords, my mind and spirit contort.  A balanced couple - they navigate the obstacle course of questions created in my mental studio.  The fear, worry, and doubt morph into spunk, serenity, and faith. 

And what of value?  Value is in the triune nature of the mover and to this mover the exploration is invaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment