Saturday, January 8, 2011

Motion365 - Day 020: Addicted

This is a duplicate blog entry from Motion365, my personal dance adventure from 2010-2011.  Notable entries have been copied to this blog so students and fellow dancers may enjoy the ponderings and combos created from the experience.

January 8, 2011
Addicted (3:42) by Saving Abel from Saving Able (Clean)

As I sat in a chair finishing a DVRed Grey’s Anatomy, I pondered aloud what song I would use for today’s Motion365.  Bubbee, the ever-helpful, says, “I think you should dance to the between the sheets song.”  I ponder which song this could possibly mean and the many connotations that could be interpreted from the suggestion.  Ultimately, we’re lead to an online search for lyrics to obtain a song name which further prompted a YouTube artist/song search since this song doesn’t yet exist in my personal music library.  Lucky for Bubbee, I rather enjoy this song!

I have found a reoccurring desire (in today’s and previous Motion365 explorations) to create long lines filled with breath.  You’ve perchance heard the expression, “Legs for days.”  Well, I am intrigued by the idea of creating this same visual representation with my arms.

Our arms (including shoulders and fingers) are an expansion from our core conveying a multitude of emotions and affections.  A thumbs up can express a job well done or approval while a thumbs down is a universal symbol for dissatisfaction.  If you want to beckon someone toward you or point to a specific object, look no further than your index finger.  Of course a full hand wave is a friendly gesture to say hello and a simple shoulder shrug gives the message you don’t know. 

The arms themselves, whose span is close or equal to your height, can sweep, sway, and swerve.  Spread them wide and dip from side to side.  Aah, the feeling of flying!  Hold them in during a spin to increase your speed or open them fully to slow your motion down. 

The arms, which today I celebrate, are brilliant communicators who embrace self and others as a means of love and comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment