Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Motion365 - Day 059: Supposed to Be

This is a duplicate blog entry from Motion365, my personal dance adventure from 2010-2011.  Notable entries have been copied to this blog so students and fellow dancers may enjoy the ponderings and combos created from the experience.

February 16, 2011
Song: Supposed to Be (4:18) by Default from Comes and Goes

On week nights a local radio station has a short programming segment called “Slam It or Jam It.”  The premise is they play a new artist and/or song and ask listeners to vote on its liability.  If you say “jam it,” it means you’d like to hear the song on their regular playlist; “slam it,” and you’d like them to smash the CD to smithereens.

Now generally, I don’t have the pleasure of hearing the nightly pick as I’m typically not in my car at the time.  Tonight, however, was a different story.  As I traveled to teach bellydance class this song filled the serenity of my little Funshine Mobile and I was immediately overcome with sense of wonderment.  The chords and flow just spoke to my being.

After parking for class, I whipped out my cell and immediately cast my vote for this song to be played non-stop!  I simply love it!  It should come as no surprise, then, that I picked it for tonight’s Motion365.

As I drove home thinking about what I would explore this evening, I knew I would need to take into account the knee I slightly torqued during class.  Needless to say, I was hoping to not do a lot of bent or straight legged weight-bearing motions.  Then it hit me.  What if I explored movement while in the supine position?  So I grabbed my laptop, found the song on YouTube, and headed into a room where I could “lock out” my puppies lest I be licked to pieces during my floor time.

Exploring motion from a lying position is exceptionally different than sitting or standing.  I was made instantly aware of my shoulder position and back posture.  I could feel when the small of my back pressed into the floor or lifted away.

A few observations:
  • My shoulders tend to roll when I execute rib rotations (merry-go-round, rather than ferris wheel).  (I have recently been aware of this evening when standing.)
  • Camels are significantly more challenging when lying down.
  • Sidewinders are kinda fun in the supine position!
  • If I change from supine to having my knees bent with feet resting flat on the floor (still lying on my back), my low back stays in contact with the floor during both mayas and infinities.
  • Snake arms are quite different on the floor versus standing and perhaps allows one to be more aware of their shoulder blades.
I look forward to more alternative movement journeys through the remainder of my 365 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment