Friday, April 1, 2011

Motion365 - Day 103: Baby Got Back

This is a duplicate blog entry from Motion365, my personal dance adventure from 2010-2011.  Notable entries have been copied to this blog so students and fellow dancers may enjoy the ponderings and combos created from the experience.

April 1, 2011
Song: Baby Got Back (4:24) by Sir Mix-A-Lot from Mack Daddy

In class tonight we spent some time enjoying backward traveling, walking hip bumps while imagining our backsides were to an audience.  We giggled and blushed as I encouraged my amazing students to “embrace the power of your butt.”

Walking hip bumps is perhaps one of my favorite bellydance movements.  It’s earthy, grounded, and grounding.  I find myself drawn to the movement in times where I feel like I am spinning out of control.  It helps me realize gravity will hold me to the earth and keep me from spiraling into oblivion.

I also call upon the strength of hip bumps when I’m feeling weak and powerless.  As my knees sink and my feet take root, I know I’m stable and steady.  There is immense power in my hips as they pound from side to side.  Given enough oomph, they’ll slam car doors and knock over another being.  Of course it’s all held together with the ampleness of my booty, and I accept its strength with pride and appreciation.

Tonight’s Motion365 is dedicated to my gluteus maximum, and my sincere wish for you is you will also shower your most powerful ASSet with the respect and gratitude it aptly deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment