Sunday, January 23, 2011

Motion365 - Day 035: Airplanes

This is a duplicate blog entry from Motion365, my personal dance adventure from 2010-2011.  Notable entries have been copied to this blog so students and fellow dancers may enjoy the ponderings and combos created from the experience.

January 23, 2011
Song: Airplanes (2:59) by B.o.B featuring Hayley Williams of Paramore from B.o.B. Presents: The Adventures of Bobby Ray

Through today’s Motion365 I recognize my slinky, slithering movements tend to follow the same pattern:

- R shoulder roll forward
- L shoulder roll forward
- Both shoulders roll back and undulate down
- Maya (R-L)
- Rib scoop L
- Rib scoop R
- Undulate down
- Oomi (x2)

I also noticed how when not thinking of them, my arms stay in a low tribal (fusion) pose.  Once I give them attention, I may wave them up and then float them back down behind my head and around my face and ultimately back down to the low tribal pose.

I call attention to using the same movements even when I dance to faster songs.  I really do favor undulations, mayas, rib circles, oomis, and hip drops/downs.  In my next (or perhaps a future) Motion365 I would like to attempt a song without any of these movements.  Perhaps I can focus on snake hips, snake arms, shoulder rocks and bounces, hip lifts (outside of ronde de jambes since I also favor those with lifts), and a host of other movements I’ve been neglecting.

The beauty of sampling movement every day without preconceived notions or expectations is I really can enjoy the freedom of expression and allow my body to explore what it wants to explore.  Although, finding a pattern of always engaging in the same patterns limits my body from embracing opportunities for growth.  I am thankful for the sight of today and look forward to interpreting music in a new way with my body in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment