Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Motion365 - Day 038: Jar of Hearts

This is a duplicate blog entry from Motion365, my personal dance adventure from 2010-2011.  Notable entries have been copied to this blog so students and fellow dancers may enjoy the ponderings and combos created from the experience.

January 26, 2011
Song: Jar of Hearts (4:06) by Christina Perri from Jar of Hearts

In case readers haven’t guessed, I am a fan of dance.  To clarify, I am passionate about any and all forms of motion including the pause during a soft moment of music or a rapid succession to a piece of silence.  Motion, quite literally, moves me.  And there are, in fact, some acts of movement which fill me so deeply with joy, desire, longing, sadness, or even anger that they push me into a realm of being overwhelmed.  This overflow can happen in a split second or take days to sink in and eventually bubble over.

The times when motion most speaks to me is when I’m dancing for myself; when I’m not worried about an audience or judgment coming from others.  It’s the times when I “leave it all on the floor or in the space” so to speak.  It’s when I walk away knowing I’ve interpreted a piece of music exactly how I feel it, breathe it, embrace it in my body.

The other instances where I am moved deeply by dance are when I see a fellow movement artist reach this same point; when “you stop dancing the dance and the dance starts dancing you.”  (This quote from the movie A Time for Dancing is a perfect summation.)

What I discovered in this evening’s Motion365 is my desire to transcend the passion I feel when I dance into motion itself.  I want to emote what’s moving me and find a way to communicate it to an audience to create a connection with them and bring them to a heightened awareness of the S.O.U.L.

Strength Of Unspoken Language

Motion.  Movement.  Dance.  It is an expression, a therapy, and a form of communication.  It’s what goes unsaid and is deeply felt by the dancer and the ones with whom the soul connects.

To see a beautiful display of emotion in movement, watch this video featuring a heart wrenching choreography by Stacey Tookey, danced by Billy Bell and Kathryne McCormick from So You Think You Can Dance, Season 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToDZ9Q2hIBk.

No comments:

Post a Comment